How To Clean And Whiten Yellowed Pillows
Good to know!
Everyone has them, yellow pillows. Even if you use pillow covers, your pillows will eventually turn yellow from the sweat and skin you shed.
Eww, enough of that. I scoured the internet to find a solution and here it is. One Good Thing By Jillee has shared how they get out the nasty yellow marks. Watch the video for instructions or simply get them by reading below.
- Very hot water (boil some on the stove if your hot water heater doesn’t get that hot)
- 1 cup chlorine bleach
- 1 cup powdered dishwashing detergent
- 1 cup laundry detergent
- 1/2 cup borax
- Fill your machine 1/3 way with very hot water. Add the cleaning solution.
- Turn on your washing machine and let it agitate for a few minutes (so the mixture dissolves fully).
- Put your pillows in (2 at a time works best so your machine is balanced).
- Fill your washing machine the rest of the way with water.
- Wash in a full cycle *make sure you have the 2nd rinse cycle turned on*
- If you have a top loader, Jill recommends turning the pillows over 1/2 way through the cycle so both sides get fully washed in the solution.
- For down & feather pillows, be sure to dry on air-dry.
- Synthetic pillows should be dried on low-temp.
- A tip from Jill: to help keep the fluffiness in your pillows, add a tennis ball in the dryer.
This story originally appeared on Simplemost.